Monday, November 14, 2011

Opening Med. Blog

This is the beginning of my medical blog. I will be occasionally logging entries on my seizures. Changes in them, any new problems I am incurring, etc.....I don't feel this is absolutely necessary but there may come a day when I'd like to remember what life was like when I could remember what life was like.

Lately I have been having mostly gelastic seizures.  (View Gelastic Seizures) My hysterical laughing fits leave me feeling tired, worn and with a moderate to severe headache. My fingers are also doing an uncontrollable "scratching" movement that began on 11/2. I spoke to Dr. Joshi about this on 11/4 but she really had no resolution for me. My Kepra has been cut (thank god!!) to a half dose at night and a half dose in the morning, although taking it in the morning causes a sort of all-day-grogginess. Four separate medications now; none are 100% effective. The date of the Stanford Video EEG is still in the air. The insurance company doesn't want to help push it through and my neuro is determined to have it finished before she okays me for surgery for the VNS Therapy.

For anyone who is curious, the medications I am on are as follows:
Topamax: New- hasn't reached maximum potential yet so I have no clue as to whether or not it works
Keppra: KEPPRA BAD!! KEPPRA MAKE KIERA NI NITE!!
Prozac: I think we ALL know what that's for
Vimpat: On maximum dose, would work well if we actually had a second decent medication to assist it

The VNS Therapy really is my only hope. I am finally at the point to where I really don't care what the risks are anymore. I want it done. I want it done now.

"Anything can cause you to have seizures at this point, Kiera. Stress, illness,....even PMS...."
In laments terms Dr. Joshi is trying to say "Kiera, you're fucked! Thanks see you in three weeks!"
For the record- anyone who needs to see a neuro- I actually HIGHLY recommend her. She has done an AMAZING job with me. It's not her fault that my brain wont tolerate half the medication she gives me and I'm allergic to the other half. So here's the scoop then for anyone who is curious so I don't have to repeat myself fifteen thousand more times:

1. Still waiting on Video EEG to Stanford
2. Can't get surgery without video EEG
3. On the LAST OF THE AVAILABLE MEDICATIONS NOW!! -NO THERE IS NOTHING ELSE SHE CAN GIVE ME!!
4. Attempting to keep lists/ask questions to try and remember things.

No comments:

Post a Comment